Autumn Dangers To Be Aware Of For Dogs

As Autumn slowly creeps in we get to enjoy the crunchy leaves, the stunning colours and lots of cosy nights in, but we also need to ensure that our dogs stay safe and healthy on those beautiful, crisp walks and within the home. We’ve compiled a list of some common, yet little-known, dangers Autumn can bring for your dog. 

CONKERS AND ACORN

Did you know conkers and acorns are toxic to dogs? Although poisoning cases are very rare, ingesting them can cause stomach problems, vomiting and intestinal blockages. So it's always best to keep a close eye on your dog when you're around oak or horse chestnut trees.

SEASONAL CANINE ILLNESS

There is still very little known about this mystery illness which although can be serious, is again very rare. Most cases occur between August and November and although it’s not known exactly what causes it, experts believe it’s linked to woodland areas. Early symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and lack of appetite usually within 24-72 hours after walking in wooded areas. If you notice any of these early warning signs, seek your vet’s advice.

Autumn Dangers To Aware Of For Dogs

FLEA AND TICKS 

As the cold winter months draw in and we start to turn our central heating back on for another year, any dog and cat flea eggs which could be leftover in your house could be 'woken up' by the warmth. You might want to consider re-treating your house and your pets to stop any potential infestations in their tracks. 

ANTI-FREEZE & WASHER FLUID

Since Autumn brings the colder weather with it, you might begin using antifreeze to defrost your car or screen wash in your washer bottles. These again are toxic to animals and can, unfortunately, be very tempting, especially to cats, because of its sweet taste. Ensure you wipe up any spillages carefully when you top up your car and store the bottles well out of reach of furry paws.

WILD MUSHROOMS

Although most mushroom species are safe for dogs to eat, a small percentage of mushrooms growing in the wild are highly toxic to dogs and can be life-threatening if eaten. It can be very difficult to tell mushroom species apart, even the experts struggle, so it’s safer to keep your dog well away from all wild mushrooms you come across. If you do find your dog has eaten one, it’s better to be safe than sorry, take them to the vet right away. 

 

AUTUMN FLOWERS

Autumn flowering plants such as Crocus, Chrysanthemums and Cyclamen can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea and in some rare but serious cases, seizures and even death in dogs. Do your research before buying plants for your garden to ensure they are dog-friendly and make yourself familiar for plants and flowers your dog should avoid while out on walks.